Forum

Notifications
Clear all

2021 Day5: How to set the parameters of tRange when doing an event-related experiment?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
LAI Kecheng
Topic starter
(@lai-kecheng)

Dear all, 

Recently, I have watched the training videos and tried to process my fNIRS signal data via Homer3, but I`ve run into some problems.

Firstly, we collected the resting state of the subject for 3 minutes as our resting data.

Then, the subjects were asked to perform 5 different tasks during a 20-minute period.

The duration for each task is different and there is no break between the task.

In my dataset, the auxiliary has 8 channels and I have accelerometer data on the third, fourth and fifth rows.

Also, I have one short separation channel (10 millimeters) per hemisphere.

Is it possible to analyze such kind of fNIRS signal using the GLM with tCCA method?

If possible, how should the parameters of the tRange be set? 

Sincerely,

Lai

3 Replies
David Boas
(@dboas)
Reputable Member

This is unlike any type of experimental design I've analyzed for fNIRS. What is the hypothesis that you want to test? Usually we are looking at the HRF in response to a stimulus onset relative to a baseline period before the stimulus onset. Sometimes people look at the HRF in response to a stimulus onset relative to a prior task just before the stimulus onset. Maybe what you want to do relates to this second approach. I am not sure what to do.

Maybe someone else out there has analyzed an experimental design like you describe.

Have you seen any papers doing something similar to what you describe?

2 Replies
Y Z
 Y Z
(@zy)

@dboas Dear Dr Boas,what about the trange of GLM when processing event-related fNIRS data with short interval(2-4 s)?Can I set it as -2 to 20 s which include the response of another stimulation? Thanks

LAI Kecheng
(@lai-kecheng)

@dboas Thank you for your reply. Actually, in my experiment, the subjects were asked to perform five different tasks. For my research purposes, I want to investigate how subjects' brain activity is activated when performing the five different tasks, and which task is most useful for brain activation. So, I am intended to look at the HRF in response to the stimulus onset relative to the prior task before the stimulus onset and compare subjects` HRF during each task. As you pointed out, it`s unlike any type of experimental design in previous works. I am not sure about setting the parameters for tRANG, since each task lasts a different amount of time.

Share:
en_USEnglish