Clear all

unable to generate sensitivity profiles using AtlasViewer

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Jing
Topic starter
(@jing)
I am using Matlab 2017b and AtlasViewer v2.16.1, R2017b, as per the guidelines provided on openfinirs.org.

The main issue I have been encountering is executing the Monte Carlo Simulation. I set the MC parameters by default values. Then, when I wanted to generate MC input by selecting running MC application automatically, I got an error message saying that no MC application was executing as shown in the attached screenshot #1. Then I ran it manually, there was a message that there were no MC output files and I could only proceed with precalculated fluence profiles which I have no idea what these profiles are, as shown in screenshot #2. I ended up loading the precalculate profile and got a sensitivity map. I have tried the data files for several different participants, and I did not manage to do the simulation. Could you please suggest where I possibly got this wrong and how I should tackle this issue?

I have also attached the screenshots for the sensitivity map I got in AtlasViewer. I am doing a hyperscanning study and there are four ROIs in my study which are rSTG, left TPJ, left IFC, and left DLPFC. The optode layout was designed based on fOLD. However, according to the map generated from AtlasViewer, it seems that the layout on the right did not cover rSTG (the ROI) well (attached screenshot #3). I was wondering if you have any suggestions on designing the probe layout to be more sensitive to cover the ROIs. 

I have read the paper by Aasted et al. (2015) and I still do not understand how to interpret such a map except for the differences in colors. If I understand it correctly, the sensitivity profile is about the probability of the layout measuring the regions that we want to measure. If this is the case, the value should be between 0 and 1; the closer the value is to 1, the greater the probability. However, the values are adjustable, ranging from -3 to 0. Could you please suggest why this is the case?

Thanks a lot for your attention and help!

8 Replies
 Jing
Topic starter
(@jing)

message showing that there is not MC application executing.

Jing
Topic starter
(@jing)

message showing that there are precalculated influence profile.

(@dboas)

First thing is to try a newer version of matlab. Homer and Atlasviewer hasn't worked for us on versions older than 2019b for some time. I am not even sure it works on 2019b anymore. Matlab keeps changing. It is challenging. Try a newer version of matlab and let us know what happens.

1 Reply
 Jing
(@jing)

@dboas I tried Matlab R2022b and R2021a before and could not get AtlasViewer installed. Only with the versions mentioned on openfnirs.org can it get installed. Please see the content below extracted from the website: 

It is highly recommended that you use MATLAB version R2017b because some AtlasViewer display features do not work as well in later MATLAB version.

• Download the latest AtlasViewer source release, atlasviewer_install_v2_16_1_src.zip AtlasViewer release.
(@dboas)

Oh, you are using an older version of atlasviewer. You are using v2.16. v2.44 is now available under the releases

You should update to the latest release and see if the error goes away

if it doesn't, then you will have to use the development version https://github.com/BUNPC/AtlasViewer/tree/development . I know we are not have any issues with MC in our lab with this version. We can't go back and debug older versions.

2 Replies
 Jing
(@jing)

@dboas I just tried MatlabR2023b and installed the development version of AtlasViewer through the link you shared. I encountered the same issues as described earlier. The parameters were set by default, and there was one time when there were two columns in the parameter setting window, as shown in the attached screenshot.

Jing
(@jing)

I deleted the column of parameters on the right side. The following procedure and error messages were the same. 

Page 1 / 2
Share:
en_USEnglish